Fish Room Tips
By Joe Scaildone
Reprinted From Guppy Roundtable, January, 1972
1. DO YOU HAVE TROUBLE CLEANING GREEN ALGAE FROM A ROUGH BOTTOM TANK?
Try a stiff bristled scrub brush, it works nicely and fast.
2. IS IT A HASSLE TO FIGURE THE AMOUNT OF SALT TO REPLACE AFTER SIPHONING TANKS?
Make use of your aged water barrels and add the salt to them and replace the siphoned water from them. Presto! Instant correct salt content.
3. DO THE COLORS OF YOUR FISH ALWAYS SEEM WASHED OUT?
Paint the bottom of your tanks black. Your fish will take on a deeper and richer color in time.
4. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL TABLESPOON OF EPSOM SALT TO THE HATCHING BRINE SHRIMP.
I have found that it helps tremendously toward better hatches.
5. IT APPEARS THAT THE HARDER THE AGITATION OF BRINE SHRIMP EGGS, THE BETTER THE PERCENTAGES OF HATCHES YOU'LL GET.
6. HAVING TROUBLE WITH AGED WATER BARRELS ALWAYS IN THE WAY?
Do they take up wall space needed for more tanks? Try using them for your work table. Place them where you want your work table and place a piece of plywood on top. Presto... you now have a work table.
7. HERE IS A NEW SLANT ON REPAIRING A LEAKY TANK.
Put the tank in the bathtub, fill with hot water, let set for 10 minutes, fill tub with hot water, let set for 10 minutes, drain tub, let set for 30 minutes, drain and refill with cold water. This will fix many stubborn leaks.
8. INSTANT IDENTIFICATION OF DIFFERENT STRAINS OF FISH.
Number each strain, make a master list of what each number means. Use a felt tip marker to write on the tanks... it can be removed easily. If you cross one strain to another, label it as such (lx3 or 1Ax3B, etc.)
9. DO YOU STARTLE YOUR FISH WHEN YOU FIRST TURN ON THE LIGHTS IN THE MORNING?
Use a small night light, leave it on all night. The fish will still sleep but won't startle so easily when you turn on the brighter lights.
Back to the Public Library